I got this idea at Lou Malnati’s in Chicago. I went with the family figuring I would blow my diet for the month with a Lou’s Special but saw this low carb delight on the menu and tried it. Delish! Here’s my take on it for you to try, and enjoy, at home.
6 oz Italian Sausage (Sweet or hot)
Bell pepper (green, red, yellow or mixed colors) cut in 1/2” pieces
Onion cut in 1/2” pieces
Pizza Sauce or 1 large plum tomato sliced
Mozzarella Cheese (sliced and shredded)
Seasoning: (to taste)
Oregano, basil, fennel seed, garlic powder, black pepper
- Form sausage into 5 – 6 inch crust – saute in pan
- Remove from pan (do not clean) and place on parchment covered baking sheet
- Lightly saute seasoned onions, peppers, tomatoes and other toppings in pan drippings Don’t overcook)
- Cover crust with sliced mozzarella and bake at 350 for 3 minutes until cheese softens
- Add pizza sauce or tomato slices, toppings and sprinkle with shredded cheese
- Sprinkle lightly with seasonings to taste
- Bake in 350 degree oven for 5 minutes or until cheese fully melted.