I started making these while working at Mrs. Gooch’s Natural Foods Markets as a samples chef shortly before it was acquired by Whole Foods. They are a staple at parties at my place.
- 2 medium zuchini (6-7”)
- 4 slices mozzarella cheese
- 2 oz parmesan cheese
- 3 Tbsp tomato paste
- Oregano, basil, fennel, black pepper,
- 1-2 garlic cloves, finely minced
- Olive Oil
- Toppings: onion, bell pepper, sausage, pepperoni, etc.
- Cut Zucchini lengthwise and then cut each half into thirds.
- With a spoon or melon baller, scoop out a trench in each section. Leave a ¼” at each end.
- Brush with olive oil and bake for 2 minutes at 325.
- Remove from oven and let rest.
- Mix tomato paste, garlic and spices to create a tasty pizza sauce.
- Fill zucchini boats with sauce, mozzarella, and toppings you desire
- Top with Parmesan
- Bake another 4 -6 minutes at 325 degrees