This is an excellent substitute for Potatoes Au Gratin. It is not only lower carb but really delicious.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 onion thinly sliced
- 1 small zucchini sliced in rounds 1/8 to 1/4 inch thick (please see notes)
- 1 small yellow squash sliced in rounds 1/8 to 1/4 inch thick (please see notes)
- 2 large cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan
- 1 cup shredded smoked gouda, cheddar, or gruyere cheese
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees
- Melt butter in oven proof skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook until the edges start to brown approximately 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook for additional 1 minute. Add cream and simmer until bubbly and starting to thicken. Slowly stir in parmesan. Add zucchini and yellow squash and cook an additional 4-5 minutes.
- Sprinkle with cheese and bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes or until cheese is golden brown.